State Washington Getting Married Inback to States


Washington recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of December 6, 2012, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Washington to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Washington to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both individuals must apply for the license in person at the county auditor’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license varies by county, averaging at $50, cash only.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a three-day waiting period and the license will expire 60 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must present a valid form of ID and will need to personal information such as Social Security number and parents’ places of birth.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Religious leaders from any state may perform the ceremony, as well as judges. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to take certified copies of your marriage license and new Social Security card when you change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.