State Virginia Getting Married Inback to States


Virginia recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 6th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.


Do I have to reside in Virginia to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Virginia to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when they apply at the county clerk’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $30.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire 60 days starting the day that it’s issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a form of identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, birth certificate or military ID and Social Security number. You also will need to know personal information such as birthplace of parents, residence, and, if previously married, date and reason the marriage dissolved.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Any religious leader authorized by the Virginia circuit court, as well as judges and justices of the court, may perform the ceremony. Out-of-state ministers may also be authorized but the month-long approval process must be complete before the ceremony. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Virginia resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Fill out a Name Change Petition (available here) and cover sheet (available here) and have both notarized.  File it with the county court clerk’s office along with a $41-$132 filing fee. You may also be required to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate. You will attend a hearing where the judge will review your case. Once granted, you’ll receive a Name Change Decree which you will use to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.