State New Jersey Getting Married Inback to States


New Jersey recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 1, 2013, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state. Those who are currently in a civil union in New Jersey are not automatically converted to marriage status and are encouraged to do so in order to receive the federal benefits that come along with marriage.


Do I have to reside in New Jersey to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of New Jersey to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Couples can obtain a marriage license from the registrar at the New Jersey municipality in which either person resides. If neither applicant lives in New Jersey, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. An adult witness must be present. Couples can complete the application at the registrar separately, but each individual will need to appear with the same witness to complete his or her portion. Application is available here.

What are the fees?

A marriage license costs $28.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a 72-hour waiting period for a marriage license and it will expire 30 days after it is issued.

What documentation and information do I need to provide?

Couples applying for a marriage license must submit proof of their age, such as a driver’s license, state-issued ID, military ID, or passport, as well as provide their Social Security number and proof of residency. If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a marriage or civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or annulment documents. If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can perform a marriage or civil union ceremony and are witnesses required?

Judges or retired judges, county clerks, mayors, chairmen of state township committees and ministers of every religion can perform marriage ceremonies. Witnesses are only required when you apply and sign the application.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.