State Idaho Getting Married Inback to States


Idaho recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 15th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.


Do I have to reside in Idaho to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Idaho to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when they apply at the county clerk’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $30, paid in cash.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire one year after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a form of identification, such as a driver’s license, passport or military ID. In accordance with Idaho Code 32-412A, both partners must read and sign a premarital AIDS pamphlet before receiving a marriage license. If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse’s death must be provided.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ceremonies can be officiated by a judge, religious leader or tribal official. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Idaho resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. You can download all necessary paperwork here. Fill out the proper forms, have a notary witness your signature and file them to the county court clerk office with a filing fee payment of $80, where you will schedule a hearing. You must then submit your name change request for publication from your local newspaper, which you must have published once a week for four consecutive weeks, after which the newspaper will give you publication affidavit that you submit to the county court clerk.  You will then attend a hearing, bringing all documents with you. Once your request is granted, be sure to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.