State District of Columbia Getting Married Inback to States


District of Columbia recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of December 18, 2009, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in D.C.


Do I have to reside in D.C. to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of D.C. to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

One of the two parties must apply for the license (available here) in person at the Marriage Bureau office, located in Room 4485 of the Moultrie Courthouse.

What are the fees?

The Marriage License Application fee is $35.00 (this fee will be waived if the applicants’ original Domestic Partnership Certificate registered under D.C. Code 32-702 is presented at the time of application). The Certificate of Marriage fee is $10.00. All fees must be paid in cash or by money order (made payable to Clerk, D.C. Superior Court) for the license to be issued. Be sure to keep your receipt, as it’s required when you pick up your license.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a three-day waiting period and there is no expiration date on the license.

What documentation do I need?

Proof of age of each applicant, such as a driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, or similar official documents must be presented at time of application. You must also print out and present a completed marriage application form (available here). Those who are remarrying need to provide the city, state, and country of each previous marriage, as well as the ending status.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Religious celebrants and judges other than those of the D.C. Courts must be authorized by the Court and registered by the Marriage Bureau in order to perform legal marriages in the District of Columbia. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to take certified copies of your marriage license and your new Social Security card with you when you update the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.