State Connecticut Getting Married Inback to States


Connecticut recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of November 12, 2008, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Connecticut to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Connecticut to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both individuals must apply for the license in person at the vital records office in the county in which they will marry.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $30.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire 65 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a government-issued photo ID when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license or passport, as well as their Social Security card. Those who are remarrying need to show a divorce decree, or have information regarding date, county, and state of death of previous spouse. If your name has changed, you need to bring a certified copy of your divorce decree.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

No witnesses are required and ordained/licensed ministers, judges and retired judges, family-support magistrates, justices of the peace, and ordained/licensed members of the clergy can perform marriages in Connecticut. The officiant must return the signed marriage license to the city or town clerk no later than the first week of the month following the marriage.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.