State Wisconsin Getting Married Inback to States


Wisconsin recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 6th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Wisconsin to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Wisconsin to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when they apply at the county clerk’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is ranges from $50-$100.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a five-day waiting period and the license will expire 30 days after it’s issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must show a valid photo ID as well as Social Security cards and certified copies of their birth certificates. If previously married, you must show a divorce decree, annulment document or certified death certificate. You must also submit your officiant’s name, address and phone number.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Any ordained member of the clergy, judge or circuit court commissioner authorized in Wisconsin may perform the ceremony. If authorized in the state, the spouses can also officiate. There must be an official mutual declaration that the couple take each other as spouses. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Wisconsin resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Fill out a Name Change Petition (available here) and Notice of Name Change (available here), have both notarized and file with your county clerk along with a $164.50 filing fee to schedule your hearing date. You then must have your Notice of Name Change published in a local newspaper once a week for three consecutive weeks before the hearing. Upon completion, you will receive a Affidavit of Publication as proof, which you must bring to your hearing along with copies of the other documents. Bring an Order Changing Name form (available here) to your hearing which the judge will sign if approved and you will use to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.