State Vermont Getting Married Inback to States


Vermont recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of September 1, 2009, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Vermont to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Vermont to get married there. Nonresidents may apply for a license in any county but Vermont residences must apply for one in the county that they reside.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

It’s recommended that both parties are present but only one member of the couple is required to sign the license at the town clerk office. However, Vermont law also states that the town clerk may reject an application for lack of proof so it’s better to provide as much as possible.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $45.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire 60 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Basic information (name, residence, place and date of birth) on yourselves and your parents are required. Because the power Vermont’s law gives to the town clerks, it’s best to provide as much documentation as possible, in case they ask to see documented proof. We recommend bringing birth certificate, certified divorce decrees, certified death certificates, proof of residency, Social Security card and photo ID.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Clergy leaders, judges and justices of the peace who reside in Vermont may perform the ceremony. Additionally, if a clergy member from another state or Canada can marry who if their religious organization lies wholly or partly in Vermont or if they obtain special authorization from the probate court in the district that the ceremony will take place. You may also have someone register to become a one-time officiant ($100 fee). No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to take certified copies of your marriage license and new Social Security card when you change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.