State Utah Getting Married Inback to States


Utah recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 6th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.


Do I have to reside in Utah to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Utah to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license at the county clerk office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $50.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire 30 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide a valid form of ID such as a government-issued photo ID, certified birth certificate or passport. You must also have your Social Security number and names and birthplaces of parents. If previously married, you must provide the date when the marriage ended and reason (annulment, divorce or death).

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Active religious leaders, Native American spiritualists, court judiciaries, the governor, lieutenant governor and county executives can officiate the ceremony. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Utah resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. To do so, you must fill out a Name Change Petition (available here) and Civil Action Cover Sheet (available here) and have both notarized. State law also requires you to fill out a Sex Offender Form (available here). Depending on the county in which you reside, you may be required to publish a Notice of Name Change Hearing (available here) in a local newspaper, which must be done before the hearing and once completed, you will be given a publication affidavit to bring to the hearing as proof.  Attend your hearing with all documents and present your case for the judge to review. Once approved, you’ll be given a Name Change Decree which you’ll use to submit the change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.