State South Carolina Getting Married Inback to States


South Carolina recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of November 20th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.

South Carolina Vendors:


Do I have to reside in South Carolina to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of South Carolina to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must appear at county probate office to apply for a marriage license.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license varies by county, between $20 and $75.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a 24-hour waiting period and the license will not expire.

What documentation do I need?

Each applicant must present two forms of identification: a state-issued ID or driver’s license and either a Social Security card, passport, military ID or certified birthday certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ministers of the gospel, Jewish rabbis, officers authorized to administer oaths and spiritual leaders of Native American tribes can officiate the ceremony. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult South Carolina resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Note, you can only change your name one time using the North Carolina name change statute. To do so, you must have a fingerprint and criminal background check conducted by the State Law Enforcement Division and sign an affidavit stating that you are not a sex offender, owe back alimony, nor have a prior criminal history. File the results and affidavit along with a notarized petition for a name change at the county clerk. After paying the $150 filing fee, you will receive a court date to attend, where the judge will review your application. If s/he approves, you will be given a Name Change Decree which you will use as proof when submitting name changes to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.