State Rhode Island Getting Married Inback to States


Rhode Island recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of August 1, 2013, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.

Rhode Island Vendors:


Do I have to reside in Rhode Island to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Rhode Island to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both applicants must be present when applying for a marriage license with the city or town clerk. If one or both applicants live in Rhode Island, it must be issued in the city/town of residence. For non-residents, it must be issued in the city/town in which the ceremony takes place.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $24

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire three months after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both applicants must present government-issued identification and Proof of Birth facts. A long-form certified copy of a birth certificate is preferred as proof of birth facts. A passport or alien card may be accepted for persons born outside the United States who cannot obtain a birth record. If divorced or widowed, applicant must provide a certified divorce decree or death certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ordained clergy members, current and former clerks of the Rhode Island General Assembly, current and former court justices and clerks, and current or former secretaries of the Rhode Island Senate can officiate the ceremony. Two adult witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.