State Oklahoma Getting Married Inback to States


Oklahoma recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 6th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Oklahoma to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Oklahoma to get married there. Out-of-state couples must apply in the county where they intend to marry.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must appear at the court clerk’s office to apply for a marriage license.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $50 however the fee can be reduced to $5 if applicants present a certificate stating that they have completed a premarital counseling program conducted by a state-certified health official or representative of a religious organization.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire 10 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide proof of identity and age, such as a driver’s license, passport, certified birth certificate or military ID.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

The person performing the marriage ceremony must be an ordained or licensed officiant, or a judge or retired judge of any Oklahoma state court. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Oklahoma resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. To do so, you must obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate and fill out and file a notarized Name Change Petition with your county of resident’s court office. The second form you need to fill out is your “Notice of Filing Petition for Name Change.” The court requires that you file this form to notify others in your community that you are asking to change your name. You will only need to fill in a few blanks on this form before you go to court. The third form is the Order that the judge will sign which grants your name change. You will need to have this form prepared to take with you to your hearing. File all these form with the court clerk, make copies and request your hearing be scheduled for 30 days later. You must now have your request published in a local newspaper. Submit a copy of your Notice, which must be published in the legal section at least 10 days before your hearing. Get a copy of the publication and take that, along with your copies of the other forms to your hearing date. Upon court approval, you will receive a certified copy of the order which you will use when submitting name changes to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.