State New Mexico Getting Married Inback to States


New Mexico recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of December 19, 2013, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in New Mexico to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of New Mexico to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when they apply at the county clerk’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $25.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and no expiration date.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide proof of age with a birth certificate or photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport. If previously married, many counties require a divorce decree or death certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

A justice of the peace, judge, tribal official or religious official from any denomination can officiate weddings in New Mexico. Two witnesses must be present.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.