State New Hampshire Getting Married Inback to States


New Hampshire recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of January 1, 2010, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in New Hampshire to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of New Hampshire to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both individuals must apply for the license in person at a town or city clerk’s office with the exception of military personnel who are unable to be present due to services. In these cases, members of the military must send a document, prepared by a military legal representative, to the town clerk citing the intention to marry.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $45.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire 90 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a a valid photo ID when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license or passport, or a birth certificate for proof of age. Those who are remarrying need to show a divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

A justice of the peace, ordained minister of the gospel, Quaker, rabbi, clergy member, religious official or individual licensed in another state to perform marriages may officiate a wedding in New Hampshire. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.