State Nevada Getting Married Inback to States


Nevada recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 9th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Nevada to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Nevada to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license at a county clerk office. Couples wishing to enter into a domestic partnership must complete and file a notarized declaration of domestic partnership application and the appropriate fees with the Office of the Nevada Secretary of State.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license varies between counties but averages around $70.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the marriage license will expire one year after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

For a marriage license: Both parties must provide proof of age and name when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license, birth certificate or passport. In cases of remarriage, the individual must provide the date of divorce or death, but no documentation is required.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Any ordained or licensed clergymen who have obtained a certificate of permissions to perform marriages and justices of the peace can perform weddings in Nevada. One witness is required. The officiant must complete and sign the marriage license and return it to the county clerk within 10 days.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Nevada resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. To do so, you must file a notarized copy of a Petition for Name Change and a Nevada Civil Cover Sheet (available here) with your county court. You will then be directed to publish a notice in a local newspaper with general circulation for three successive weeks. If no objections are filed within 10 days after the last date of publication to the county clerk, the court will grant the name change request without hearing. Upon court approval, you will receive a certified copy of the order which you will use when submitting name changes to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.