State Missouri Getting Married Inback to States


Missouri recognizes only straight unions.

Current Legislation:

The current legislation in place is a constitutional ban against same-sex marriages.


Do I have to reside in Missouri to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Missouri to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Gay and Lesbian Couples: Currently, the state government does not recognize same-sex marriages, so unfortunately licenses are not available to gay and lesbian couples.

Straight Couples: Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license at the Missouri county Recorder of Deeds office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license varies from county to county, averaging at around $50, and most offices accept cash only.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire 30 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide a photo ID when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license or passport, as well as your Social Security card. Non-U.S. citizens additionally need to provide their passport and a valid visa. If an individual has been married before, they must provide the date of divorce or death.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Judges, active or retired clergy members and any religious society or institution can perform marriages. Two witnesses are required. The officiant must complete and sign the marriage license and return it to the county recorder within 15 days.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Missouri resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. To do so, you must file a verified petition in your county of residence’s circuit court (available here). An order for name change must then be obtained by the court and published once a week for three consecutive weeks in a general circulation newspaper in your county of residence. After publication, you must file proof of publication with the court within 10 days of the last publication. Upon court approval, you will receive a certified copy of the order which you will use when submitting name changes to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.