State Mississippi Getting Married Inback to States


Mississippi recognizes only straight unions.

Current Legislation:

The current legislation in place is a constitutional ban against same-sex marriages.


Do I have to reside in Mississippi to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Mississippi to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Gay and Lesbian Couples: Currently, the state government does not recognize same-sex marriages, so unfortunately licenses are not available to gay and lesbian couples.

Straight Couples: Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license with the Mississippi circuit court clerk.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $21.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a 72-hour waiting period and the license does not expire.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide proof of age when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license, birth certificate or passport. Non-U.S. citizens additionally need to provide their passport and a valid visa. If an individual has been divorced within six months, they must present a divorce decree, otherwise they can simply provide the date of the divorce.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ministers, priests, rabbis, reverends, judges and members of Mississippi boards of supervisors can. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Mississippi resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. To do so, you must file a notarized Petition for Change of Name (downloadable here) with the Chancery Court in your area. If the court is satisfied that there is no reasonable objection to the name change and that it is consistent with the public interest, the Court will issue the Order Changing Name. Be sure to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.