State Minnesota Getting Married Inback to States


Minnesota recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of August 1, 2013, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Minnesota to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Minnesota to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license from a Minnesota county registrar.

What are the fees?

The application fee is $115 or $40 if you have obtained pre-marital education as per M.S. 517.08 and present a completed Reduced Marriage Fee Educator’s Statement at the time of application.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a five-day waiting period and the license will expire six months after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide a photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport, and Social Security number. If previously married, you must provide information regarding your previous marriage and if either party has a felony conviction, proof of service papers must be provided.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Judges, clerks of court, court commissioners, and licensed ministers, priests or rabbis, as well as representatives of Bahai, Hindu, Quaker and American Indian religious groups are authorized to perform weddings in Minnesota. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.