State Michigan Getting Married Inback to States


Michigan recognizes only straight unions.

Current Legislation:

The current legislation in place is a pro-marriage court ruling, on hold pending appeal.


Do I have to reside in Michigan to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Michigan to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Gay and Lesbian Couples: Currently, the state government does not recognize same-sex marriages, so unfortunately licenses are not available to gay and lesbian couples.

Straight Couples: Nonresidents must obtain a marriage license from the clerk of the circuit court in the county where the marriage will take place. For residents of Michigan, the license must be obtained from the clerk of the circuit court of the county in which at least one partner resides. Only one party needs to be present.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $20 if one or both partners are residents of Michigan. If not, the fee is $30.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a three-day waiting period and the license will expire 33 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

A valid driver’s license or state-issued ID from both individuals must be presented, as well as a certified copy of each party’s birth certificate or passport and Social Security number. If you’ve been divorced, some counties require a certified copy of the divorce decree.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Federal, probate, district and municipal court judges, district court magistrates, county clerks, mayors and ministers can perform wedding ceremonies. Two witnesses are required. The officiant must return the plain-sealed copy of marriage license to the office that issued it within 10 days of the marriage.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Michigan resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence (which you must have lived in for one year prior). Fill out the petition (available here) and file it with the circuit court. The filing fee is $150. If you are 22 or older, you must be fingerprinted at a local police agency. The fingerprints, along with a copy of the petition and required processing fees, will be forwarded to the Michigan Department of State Police. You will receive a court date. Before the date, the petition to change name must be published in a local newspaper, after which you will receive a Publication of Name Change to present to the court. After a successful hearing and paying a fee of $10, you will receive your name decree.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.