State Maryland Getting Married Inback to States


Maryland recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of January 1, 2013, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Maryland to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Maryland to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

At least one party member must be present to apply for the license in person at the circuit court clerks’ office in the county where the marriage will occur or Baltimore City. An exception is Cecil County where both applicants must apply.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $35-$85.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a 48-hour waiting period for licenses, becoming effective at 6 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued and the license will expire six months after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide a photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport, as well as their Social Security card. Those who are remarrying need to show your divorce decree, or have information regarding date, county, and state of death of your previous spouse.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

A religious official, judge, clerk of the circuit court or an appointed, designated deputy clerk of the circuit court can officiate the ceremony. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.