State Maine Getting Married Inback to States


Maine recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of December 29, 2012, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Maine to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Maine to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both individuals must apply for the license in person at the town office. Residents should apply in the county they reside, non-residents can apply in any county, not necessarily the one they will be wed in, but preferably the one

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $40.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire 90 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a photo ID when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license or passport. Those who are remarrying need to bring a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate of the last spouse.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ordained ministers of the gospel, someone who is licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body, Judges or justices of Maine, Maine-resident lawyers who have been admitted to the Maine Bar, and Maine notaries can conduct the ceremony. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.