State Louisiana Getting Married Inback to States


Louisiana recognizes only straight unions.

Current Legislation:

The current legislation in place is a constitutional ban against same-sex marriages.


Do I have to reside in Louisiana to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Louisiana.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Gay and Lesbian Couples: Currently, the state government does not recognize same-sex marriages, so unfortunately licenses are not available to gay and lesbian couples.

Straight Couples: Only one party needs to be present to apply for a license, but must bring all required documentation for both. Licenses are issued at the parish clerk of court’s office

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $27.50.

Is there a waiting period?

There is 72-hour waiting period and the license will expire after 30 days.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties require a Social Security number and a certified copy of a birth certificate or certified birth card, as well as a form of current photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport. For license applicants who are born outside the United States, an original birth certificate is required as well as an authorized translation by the foreign country’s consulate. Additionally, those who have been previously married must present a final divorce decree or death certificate of a deceased spouse.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Judges, justices of the peace and clergy who have registered with the parish clerk of court can perform the ceremony. Note that in New Orleans, mystics, fortune tellers and palm readers are legally banned from performing marriage ceremonies. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the parish clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Louisiana resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Fill out a Name Change Petition with your notarized signature and file them with the court. You will be given a date where you will be able to get your name change decree. If you present yourself in front of the court accordingly the Judge will authorize your name change decree which will be your official certificate for legally changing your name. Once your request is granted, be sure to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.