State Kentucky Getting Married Inback to States


Kentucky recognizes only straight unions.

Current Legislation:

The current legislation in place is a constitutional ban against same-sex marriages. On July 1, 2014, U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn II ruled in favor of marriage equality. The decision was stayed pending further action from the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.


Do I have to reside in Kentucky to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Kentucky to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Gay and Lesbian Couples: Currently, the state government does not recognize same-sex marriages, so unfortunately licenses are not available to gay and lesbian couples.

Straight Couples: Both parties must be present when they apply at the county clerk’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $35.50.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire 30 days after the day that it’s issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a form of identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, birth certificate or military ID. If previously married, you may be asked to provide a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ceremonies are conducted by an ordained or licensed clergyman or justice of the peace who has been licensed in Kentucky to perform weddings and two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Kentucky resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Fill out a Name Change Petition (available here) and have it notarized. File it with the county court clerk’s office along with a $20 filing fee. You will be notified if you will have to attend a hearing, at which you would present your request before the Judge. Once your request is granted, be sure to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.