State Kansas Getting Married Inback to States


Kansas recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of November 12th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.


Do I have to reside in Kansas to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Kansas to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Only one applicant needs to be present to apply at the district court clerk’s office.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $59.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a three-day waiting period and the license will expire six months after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

The applicant(s) must have a photo ID such as a driver’s license, as well as a Social Security card, for both parties. In previously married, the dates the marriage ended must be provided, and if it’s within 30 days prior to applying, they must wait until more than 30 days have passed to obtain a license.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Two adult witnesses must be present and ceremonies can be officiated by any ordained clergyman of any religious denomination or society. Per Kansas marriage code, two people can also marry themselves: “The two parties themselves, by mutual declarations that they take each other as husband and wife, in accordance with the customs, rules and regulations of any religious society, denomination or sect to which either of the parties belong, may be married without an authorized officiating person.”

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Kansas resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. File your name change petition (available here) at the county court clerk’s office for which you will be required to pay the filing fee of $173.50. You must then submit your name change for publication from your local newspaper, which you must have published once a week for three consecutive weeks, after which the newspaper will give you Name Change Publication that you submit to the county court clerk. If the Judge decides that you should present yourself to defend your name change then you will be instructed to go to your court date but oftentimes the court date is the day you receive your name change decree. Once your request is granted, be sure to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.