State Indiana Getting Married Inback to States


Indiana recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 6th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.


Do I have to reside in Indiana to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Indiana to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Nonresidents must obtain a marriage license from the clerk of the circuit court in the county where the marriage will take place. For residents of Indiana, the license must be obtained from the clerk of the circuit court of the county in which at least one partner resides. Both parties must be present.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $18, paid in cash, if one or both partners are residents of Indiana. If not, the fee is $60.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will expire 60 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must provide a form of identification proving identity and date of birth, such as a driver’s license, passport or birth certificate. You must also provide information on the last known addresses and birthplaces of both sets of parents. Indiana residents must also provide proof of residency with a driver’s license or utility bill. If you were divorced within the past two years of applying, you must provide a copy of the divorce decree.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Ceremonies can be performed by a member of the clergy (including a minister, priest, bishop, rabbi, and imam), a judge, magistrate, clerk of the circuit court, or clerk or clerk-treasurer of a city or town. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Indiana resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. You can download all necessary paperwork here. Fill out the proper forms, have a notary witness your signature and file them to the county court clerk office, where you will schedule a hearing. You must then submit your name change request for publication from your local newspaper, which you must have published once a week for three consecutive weeks, after which the you need to obtain an Indiana Proof of Publication from the newspaper to present to the county court clerk. You will then attend a hearing, bringing all documents with you. Once your request is granted, be sure to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.