State Illinois Getting Married Inback to States


Illinois recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of June 1, 2014, all same-sex couples have the right to marry in the state of Illinois.


Do I have to reside in Illinois to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Illinois to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Couples can obtain a marriage license at the county clerk office where the ceremony will be taking place. Both applicants must be present.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $15–$30.

Is there a waiting period?

There is a 24-hour waiting period and the license will expire 60 days after it is issued.

What documentation and information do I need to provide?

Couples applying for a marriage license must submit photo ID, such as a driver’s license, state-issued ID, military ID, or passport. In the case of remarriage, an individual will need to provide certified copies of the divorce decree or death certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

County clerks, judges, religious and tribal leaders may conduct your marriage ceremony. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.