State Hawaii Getting Married Inback to States


Hawaii recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of December 2, 2013, both straight and same-sex marriages are recognized in the state. Those who are currently in a civil union in Hawaii are not automatically converted to marriage status and are encouraged to do so in order to receive the federal benefits that come along with marriage.


Do I have to reside in Hawaii to get married or enter into a civil union there?

You do not have to be a resident of Hawaii to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Applicants can download a Hawaii marriage application online (available here). Both partners must apply in person at the Health Department Building in Honolulu, on Oahu. Marriage agents are also located on Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage is $60, plus a $5 processing fee.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period for the marriage license but it will expire 30 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must present government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or military ID when applying for a marriage license. In cases of previous marriages or civil unions, you must provide proof of the termination of marriage (divorce decree or death certificate) only if it was final within 30 days of applying.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Only a wedding officiant licensed by the state of Hawaii can perform marriage ceremonies. No witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage or civil union license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.