State Colorado Getting Married Inback to States


Colorado recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 6th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized by the state.


Do I have to reside in Colorado to get married or enter a civil union there?

You do not have to be a resident of Colorado to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Couples can obtain a marriage license at a County Clerk & Recorder office. Both applicants should be present, but if one party is unable to appear in person, they must provide a notarized absentee application and a clear photocopy of a form of identification.

What are the fees?

A marriage license costs $30, cash only.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but a marriage license will expire 35 days after it is issued.

What documentation and information do I need to provide?

Couples applying for a marriage license must submit proof of their age, such as a driver’s license, state-issued ID, military ID, or passport, as well as provide their Social Security number. For both marriages and civil unions, in the case of remarriage, an individual must provide the date, place, and court in which the divorce was finalized. However, if an individual finalized a divorce within 30 days, he or she must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree. For widowed, you must know the exact date of your partner’s death.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Clergy members, current and retired judges, magistrates, Native American-tribe officials and certain public officials can perform marriages. Alternatively, the spouses themselves can solemnize their marriage by indicating such on the marriage certificate. The officiant, or couple, needs to submit the signed marriage license to the county clerk within 60 days. Colorado does not require any witnesses.

How can I change my name?

Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.