State Arizona Getting Married Inback to States


Arizona recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 17th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Arizona to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Arizona to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties need to apply for a marriage license at the county clerk of the Superior Court where they’re getting married.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is around $75.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire after one year.

What documentation do I need?

Each party must bring a government-issued photo ID and provide their Social Security number.

Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Members of the clergy, judges, and justices of the peace can perform marriages in Arizona. Two adult witnesses (18 or older) must be present.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Arizona resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Fill out the Civil Cover Sheet, Application for Name Change and Order Changing Name for Adult forms (available here) and submit the completed forms and necessary fees to the superior court in the county you reside. At least four business days after you filed your Application for Change of Name, contact Court Administration to obtain the Commissioner’s Name and the date, time and place of your hearing. You must then complete the “Notice of Hearing Regarding Application for Change of Name” form with the information received from Court Administration. The completed “Notice of Hearing Regarding Application for Change of Name” form must be filed with the Clerk of the Court. A Notice of Hearing (a legal notice classified advertisement) that shows the date, time, and place of your hearing must be published in a newspaper of general circulation of last known address at least once a week for four consecutive weeks before the hearing. After publication has been completed, you must obtain and file an “Affidavit of Publication” from the newspaper indicating publication was completed. The Court will not accept notification by publication unless diligent efforts have been made to locate the persons for whom notification is required. On the day of your hearing, bring a copy of your birth certificate (if born in Arizona), a clerk-stamped copy of all filed documents, Proof of Notice, prior name change order, proof of naturalization or resident alien status (if applicable). If person requesting the name change is not a citizen, a passport or proof of immigration status must also be provided. Upon judgement, you will receive a certified copy of your name change, which you will then use to change your name with the DMV, Social Security Administration, your employer, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.