State Wyoming Getting Married Inback to States


Wyoming recognizes both straight and same-sex unions.

Current Legislation:

As of October 17th, 2014, both straight and same-sex unions are recognized in the state.


Do I have to reside in Wyoming to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of Wyoming to get married there.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when they apply at the county clerk’s office. Some counties require couples to also bring one witness.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $25.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period and the license will one year after it’s issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must show a valid photo ID as must provide a Social Security number well and, if previously married, must be able to provide date of divorce or death.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Licensed or ordained religious leaders as well as district or circuit court judges, commissioners, supreme court judges and magistrates can perform a ceremony. The officiant must return the license to the county clerk it was issued at within 10 days of the ceremony. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult Wisconsin resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. Fill out a Name Change Petition and Notice of Publication, have both notarized and file with your county clerk along with the filing fee. You then must have your Notice of Publication published in a local newspaper once a week for four consecutive weeks. If no one challenges, fill out and file Name Change Order and Order for Name Change forms and you will receive your Name Change Decree in the mail, which you will use to submit name change to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

Will my same-sex marriage be legal in other states?

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are only recognized in the 35 states that they can legally be performed in— Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Conn., Del., Hawaii, Idaho, Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Maine, Mass., Md., Minn., Mont., Nev., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., N.C., Okla., Ore., Penn., R.I., S.C., Utah, Va., Vt., Wash., W.Va., Wis., Wyo., as well as Washington, D.C.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.