State North Dakota Getting Married Inback to States


North Dakota recognizes only straight unions.

Current Legislation:

The current legislation in place is a constitutional ban against same-sex marriages.


Do I have to reside in North Dakota to get married there?

You do not have to be a resident of North Dakota to get married there. Out-of-state couples must apply in the county where they intend to marry.

How can I apply for a marriage license?

Gay and Lesbian Couples: Currently, the state government does not recognize same-sex marriages, so unfortunately licenses are not available to gay and lesbian couples.

Straight Couples: Both parties must appear at the clerk of the court’s office to apply for a marriage license.

What are the fees?

The cost for a marriage license is $65.

Is there a waiting period?

There is no waiting period but the license will expire 60 days after it is issued.

What documentation do I need?

Both parties must provide a valid ID when applying for a marriage license, such as a driver’s license, birth certificate or passport, as well as a Social Security number or card. If an individual has been married before, they must provide a divorce decree or death certificate.

Is a blood test required?


Who can marry us and are witnesses required?

Judges, ordained members of the gospel, priests and other religious officials may officiate. Two witnesses are required.

How can I change my name?

With a marriage license: Obtain several certified copies from the county clerk’s office where your license was filed, as you will need these throughout the name changing process. Fill out an application for a new Social Security card (which can be found here) and go to your local Social Security Administration office (be sure to get there before it opens) with a certified copy of your marriage license, photo proof of identity such as a driver’s license and original proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Be sure to change it with the DMV, your employer, your bank, etc.

Any adult North Dakota resident can formally change their name without a marriage license, but it must be done in your county of residence. To do so, you must file a notarized copy of a Petition for Name Change with your county of resident’s court office. Publish your name change intent in a general circulation newspaper. Get proof of publication and bring with you to the scheduled hearing along with copies of the Petition for Name Change document that you previously filed, Upon court approval, you will receive a certified copy of the order which you will use when submitting name changes to the DMV, employer, the Social Security Administration, etc.

**Disclaimer: Requirements and protocols are subject change. Please regard the above information as a guide only, not professional legal advice. It is important to confirm the information with your specific county and state of residence before the wedding.